Diabetes doesn’t have to sideline you from the sport you love. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these safety suggestions:
• Don’t exercise unless your blood sugar level is at least 100 mg/dL, or within one week of a severe episode of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
• Monitor your blood sugar throughout exercise. Make sure it stays within the range recommended by your doctor.
• While you exercise, carry with you a form of quickly absorbed glucose.
• Exercise with a buddy until you are well trained, to help ward off an episode of hypoglycemia.
• Wear a medical alert bracelet that identifies you as diabetic.
• Snack and drink before, during and after your workout.